This was the second official defensive pistol skills course that I attended. (The fist was Basic pistol 2)
We trained the 4-stroke draw from concealment. All drills had to be done in 3 seconds or less – that’s how much time max one has before an adversary can close on him/her from a distance of 21 feet.
We did a lot of hands-on training involving “hardware” but like the instructor said this was not a hardware class – it was a “software” class. In other words, our goal was to get the 4-stroke draw from concealment, re-loading if needed, and do that flawlessly so we don’t have to think of our hardware in a situation.
In a situation our hardware skills have to be perfect so that our mind is focused on analyzing and handling the situation rather than on how to execute each motion.
I also learned about the OODA loop. The OODA loop turned out to be an extremely powerful concept, which I learned even more about later on on my own.
Other incredibly important new knowledge:
— “In a real situation, expect that the best you will be able to do is 75% of your worst day of training” – Paul Ford, APD SWAT
— You operate in a 360 degree world. Continue to scan the environment and immediately adapt to a changing environment. It’s not over until it’s over!
— Vital zone is high-center 6 inch diameter, not center-mass
— Attacker is close and moving, not stationary
— Opponents could be more than one. They could be 2,3 or more.
— Average distance in defense shooting – 14.6 feet (about the length of a car)
— Average number of shots fired – 5
There is a lot more and I can’t mention everything I learned here (neither I should). I highly recommend that anyone, as a part of his/her self-defense training and situation preparedness, attends a defense pistol skills course (or two or three..). There should be a school in your area. If not, I have heard great things about InSights, courses of which I plan to attend myself in the near future.
- 3 Barriers That Stop You From Attaining the Dream Body You’ve Always Wanted - November 12, 2016
- 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Do Bodybuilding - November 6, 2016
- Why you can’t do even one pull-up and how to fix it - October 29, 2016
- Video: Why fat people are fat – THE TRUE REASON - October 11, 2016
- Video: How to eat what you want and never gain any fat - October 10, 2016
- Video: Relative Strength – Hip Drive - September 27, 2016
- Video: Relative Strength – The Push - September 26, 2016
- Video: Relative Strength – The Pull - September 25, 2016
- Video: The 3 benchmark exercises for Relative Strength mastery - September 24, 2016
- Video: Man’s Life Mastery Blueprint – Living A Good Life - September 21, 2016